Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Drake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool' -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Drake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool'
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:54:21
Drake Bell has been overwhelmed by the reactions to him telling his story in the documentary series "Quiet on TrendPulseSet."
The "Drake and Josh" actor said he was "still reeling" from the response after opening up about the sexual abuse he faced as a child, he revealed during a panel at an Emmys For Your Consideration event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
"Having to tell this sensitive of a story, something I held inside for so many years," said Bell, 37, according to Deadline and People. "I'm still reeling from the idea of bearing my soul to the world."
Bell said he was partly inspired to speak up now because he hadn't seen anything written about former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck, 63, who was convicted in 2004 of lewd acts with a minor, revealed in the documentary to be then-15-year-old Bell.
"It was nowhere," the "Amanda Show" actor said. "I was so perplexed by that. This is the response that I feel should have happened so many years ago, the reaction that everybody is having now. This needs to change."
Bell said people have come up to him and sharing they now have the bravery to speak up, and call for laws to be changed.
"Hollywood is a beautiful place, full of fantasy and imagination and fun. But it's also a completely dark cesspool of disgusting waste," he said. "I'm hoping that we see shifts and changes inside the industry that are needed."
Bell appeared on the panel alongside "All That" stars Giovonnie Samuels and Bryan Hearne, who also speak out in the documentary, and filmmakers Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz.
Bryan Hearne defends parents of child stars, says he and mom are 'really good'
Samuels and Hearne appeared in "Quiet on Set" and discussed their experiences on the sketch show. The documentary series exposed several claims against the Nickelodeon series creator, Dan Schneider, of misogyny, racism and creating toxic work environments.
Hearne also defended the parents of child stars, saying they can only "do so much."
"I don't think it's on the parents," Hearne, 35, said. "I think that it's important that there are people on set … who are tasked to give care and caretake to the emotions of the children on set. That's the most important thing."
'Quiet on Set' new episode:Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
The "Hardball" actor also addressed speculation about the state of his relationship with his mother, Tracey Brown, who also appears in the series to discuss her experience as a parent on set.
In the latest episode of the series, Hearne participated in an emotional discussion with his mother, and the two said the documentary helped repair their fractured relationship.
"I (want to) clear something up about the narrative about whether or not I've been in touch with my mom since then," Hearne said, according to Deadline. "I didn't leave 'All That' and my mom. We have had a tumultuous relationship. We're on again, off again ... Right now, we're on again, and it feels permanent, and that's really good."
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Ciara Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby With Husband Russell
- A jury decided Google's Android app store benefits from anticompetitive barriers
- Raven-Symoné Mourns Death of Brother Blaize Pearman After Colon Cancer Battle
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Grinch-themed photo shoots could land you in legal trouble, photographers say: What we know
- Putin visits a shipyard to oversee the commissioning of new Russian nuclear submarines
- Aaron Rodgers spent days in total darkness and so did these people. But many say don't try it.
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Romanian court rejects influencer Andrew Tate’s request to return assets seized in trafficking case
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Man charged in Fourth of July parade shooting plans to represent himself at trial
- Vivek Ramaswamy Called ‘the Climate Change Agenda’ a Hoax in Alabama’s First-Ever Presidential Debate. What Did University of Alabama Students Think?
- Zelenskyy will arrive on Capitol Hill to grim mood as Biden’s aid package for Ukraine risks collapse
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Messi vs. Ronaldo will happen again: Inter Miami will play in Saudi Arabia early in 2024
- The US is restricting visas for nearly 300 Guatemalan lawmakers, others for ‘undermining democracy’
- Closing arguments start in trial of 3 Washington state police officers charged in Black man’s death
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Person of interest arrested in slaying of Detroit synagogue president
Alyson Hannigan Shows Off 20-Pound Weight Loss After Dancing With the Stars Journey
AP PHOTOS: At UN climate talks in Dubai, moments between the meetings
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Report says United Arab Emirates is trying nearly 90 detainees on terror charges during COP28 summit
Governor wants New Mexico legislators to debate new approach to regulating assault-style weapons
The Excerpt podcast: Appeals court upholds Trump gag order in election interference case